Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Nepotism in NY?

Sorry that I, Mr. Thomas Nast, have been sleepless in Seattle for weeks and haven’t posted. But it has come to my attention that we have some serious nepotism in upstate New York politics, just when we thought those days were over!

Today, directly from the Watertown Daily Times we found out that our newly elected State Senator, Mr. Darrel J. Aubertine, has added several new staffers to the state’s payroll. One such staffer just happens to be his sister, Debra A. Wiley. Now the move is all fine and dandy, except her salary comes straight out of the wallet of the New York State taxpayer. Sounds like straight up nepotism to me. I wonder if the Watertown Daily Times and the writer, Jude Seymour, will follow up and find out just how much she is being paid for her new role as head of constituent liaisons… and I wonder how much Senator Jim Wright paid his constituent liaison staffer? If Wiley gets special treatment for being the new Senator’s sister will anyone make an issue of it when Aubertine wants to run for Congress?

On a positive note for Aubertine at least he can get this out of the way before his Congressional run in 2010 or 2012, depending on how long McHugh wants to stay in the US Congress. It looks like he is staying put and he is making a heck of a run for chair/ranking member of the Armed Services Committee. Bravo to Mr. McHugh!

I remember another former New York politician who sought to clean up New York politics, rid the state of nepotism, and special interest… his name was Eliot Spitzer. It looks like Hillary Clinton taught Aubertine well – reward those close to home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm suprised June O'Neil didn't ask for another job - what a riot.

Anonymous said...

it would be interesting to see what other types of folks he put on staff as well...

Anonymous said...

I know Aubertine's sister and she didn't work very hard for his campaign. I can't imagine she would be any good at constituent relations. Good luck. This does look like nepotism to me.

Anonymous said...

corruption in the northcountry? who woulda thunk it?

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised. This guy is known for things like this.

Anonymous said...

His new press secretary/communications person must have some good newspaper contacts to help him spin Aubertine's liberal agenda.

Anonymous said...

Darrell will need all the help he can get. I am amazed he won his Senate seat. Why in the world would he bring this type of negative attention to himself right after winning is beyond me though.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I saw another blog mention Drew Mangione's hire and they described it as a big move for him because not too long ago Drew was selling used TV's and writing some kind of weird science fiction novel.

Drew is also a Green Party member and supports the legalization of pot. That is just what we need in the North Country... more drugs for our kids.

So glad Aubertine is surrounding himself with the right kinds of people.

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.